Sunday, August 17, 2008

Weekend in the country

We went to see Husband's grandparents this weekend. They live about 4 hours away in Eastern KY, out in the country. I always enjoy visiting them, because we hardly get to see them, and since my grandparents live so far away, they are kinda like my surrogates. Also, it is always so relaxing there, like time moves slower and there's never any rush for anything. I guess that's how country folk live.

The grandparents have a huge garden, and I've been waiting all summer for some fresh produce. Well, you can't get any fresher than 'pick it yourself,' so that's just what I did. I picked lots of green beans and some tomatoes and cucumbers. I've never picked beans before; the vines really irritated my skin. But, the short-lived rash was worth it:




When we got home, Husband and I spent about an hour breaking, stringing, cleaning and freezing the beans. Guess what we're having for dinner tonight (and tomorrow night, and the next night....)?

I had quite a bit of knitting time this weekend, something I really needed. It's always so relaxing in the country, and when I'm there I don't feel guilty about knitting when so much other stuff needs to be done around the house. I can just sit around and knit while I'm visiting with the family.

I finished the body of my Gathered Pullover and cast on My So Called Scarf. The pattern was a bit confusing, but I found an awesome tutorial, which made so much more sense to me. I'm using Misty Alpaca. This is the first time I've used this yarn, and it won't be the last! It's so yummy! I just want to pet it...


I would've gotten so much more done if I didn't have to stop every few rows to admire it. I just love this pattern and this yarn together.

No comments: