Saturday, October 18, 2008

FOs of 2 (very) different types

OK, I've noticed that, contrary to the name of this blog, there hasn't been much knitting action goin' on here (on the blog, I mean). There has, however, been some bitterness goin' on.

FO Type 1- Finished Objects
I have been knitting. Quite a bit, actually, so I have some things to share.

First, we have the Turn A Square hat I made for Dylan. It is made from some Debbie Bliss Rialto I had in my stash (yay for stashbusting!).

I did like the pattern, but I couldn't get the whole "jogless stripe" thing to work for me. There is a jog up the back of this hat where the color changes, but honestly, does this look like a kid who cares that there's a jog in his color changes?
I don't think so either. He just loves his new hat.













Next, my new favorite winter accessory, the cowl. This is the Crofter's Cowl (Ravelry link), made of Mmmmmmalabrigo. Yummy yarn, lovely color. This was a very quick knit- it could be knit in one productive afternoon- but it sat for a few days while I got up the courage to Kitchener it together. I'm not entirely happy with the way that turned out, because you can totally see the seam. If I knew beforehand that there would be a visible seam, I would have just sewn it together and saved myself quite a bit of time. But, I don't guess it's that bad considering it was my first attempt at Kitchener stitch. Overall, I really like this cowl. I think it will get lots of wear just as soon as the weather decides to stay cool.


Finally, I finished my Rusted Root!!
I cast on for this sweater 5 times before I got it right. I had some issues with reading the pattern/pattern comprehension/sizing. There were so many stitch markers on this thing, I didn't know what was going on. Do I increase here? or just before the lace pattern and not after? (Just so you know, don't increase at the "special markers" and you'll do fine. Really.)
This sweater started out red. Once I got the pattern down, I knit until the join beneath the underarms and I tried it on, just to be sure I was on track.
I wasn't.
There was no way this things was gonna fit over the girls, so I had to frog it and go up a size. Guess what? I didn't have enough yarn. But that's OK. I really wanted it in blue (I guess).

On to FO Type 2- Flying objects.
I'll give you a minute to figure this one out on your own.

No, I'm not referring to the roosters on my tablecloth. I'm referring to the freaking bird perched on said tablecloth.
I like nature. Really, I do. Just not in my house.
How did this happen, you ask? If you know me at all, you know that not a single window in my house is operable. This means that any time I want fresh air, I have to leave the back door open, which has no screen. This leaves my door open to... well... birds. Usually they just hop in a few feet from the deck but turn around as soon as they realize they're not outside. This one just came right in and made himself at home. He didn't want to leave. I had to chase him for a good 5 minutes, during which time he hid behind my refrigerator. I had to pull the stupid thing out to get him to leave. Thank goodness it's on wheels.
Oh, and if you're interested in knowing, I'll have all new windows Wednesday!!

2 comments:

Ellie said...

there seems to be a common thread of animals/rodents/insects coming in and taking up residence in your house. WTH?

Sweater looks really nice. Do you need my size???

Allison said...

I love the sweater! You look super skinny in that picture too!